I was in no way going to pass up on an excuse to watch and listen to all the sappiness humanity can offer when ‘love month’ arrives. More so, it’s my birthday month. I’ve compiled dozens of playlists over the years using a recurring theme: heartbreak. The pain and suffering wrapped up, confined in every chord, every line, every pause in between appeal to me more than the bliss of falling in love (more like, falling in a ravine). While browsing an article after another, I read a particularly good piece titled ‘Top Ten Best Songs About Breaking Up’ and I thought the songs in it were some sort of reminder of a latent heartache experienced over the years. So I compiled everything from that list into one mixtape. Most of the songs in it, I haven’t heard before. Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon did a cover of Bonnie Raitt’s classic, “I Can’t Make You Love Me,” something I’ve listened to a while back. Damn that guy, and damn failed relationships. I rest my case.
By the way, the mixtape’s title is from a line from Wong Kar-wai’s Chungking Express. Talk about kicking you in the teeth, huh.
Download it here.
- “Every Little Hair Knows Your Name” by Jens Lekman
- “Things I’ll Later Lose” by Lily & Madeleine
- “A Case of You” by Joni Mitchell
- “Shiver” by Lucy Rose
- “I Can’t Make You Love Me (Cover)” by Bon Iver
- “Hope There’s Someone” by Antony and the Johnsons
- “God Only Knows” by The Beach Boys
- “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart” by Wilco
- “New Romantic” by Laura Marling
- “You Must Be Out of Your Mind” by The Magnetic Fields
Photos used are screenshots from the film.